Friday, September 30, 2011

#hackgate :Neville Thurlbeck's statement on his dismissal from News International

Former News of the World chief reporter states 'I took no part in the matter which has led to my dismissal'
Scotland Yard has now made me aware of the reason for my dismissal, a reason which News International has withheld from me for almost a month.


For legal reasons, I am unable to go into the reason cited.


However, I will say this. I took no part in the matter which has led to my dismissal after 21 years of service.


I say this most emphatically and with certainty and confidence that the allegation which led to my dismissal will eventually be shown to be false. 


And those responsible for the action, for which I have been unfairly dismissed, will eventually be revealed.


For more than two years, News International has accepted I was not responsible for the matter in question and there is no valid or reliable evidence now to support their sudden volte face.


At the length, truth will out.


I await that time with patience but with a determination to fight my case to the end.

I was saddened to hear that News International was giving "off the record" briefings about me to the press this week.


This has compelled me to speak for the first time since my name became linked to the phone-hacking scandal through the "for Neville" email more than two years ago.


I would request that News International abandon the unseemly practice of whispering behind the back of a loyal and long-serving former employee.


There is much I could have said publicly to the detriment of News International but so far, have chosen not to do so.


Therefore, let us all retain a dignified silence until we meet face to face in a public tribunal where the issues can be rigorously examined and fairness can eventually prevail.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/30/neville-thurlbeck-statement-news-international?CMP=twt_gu

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8798950/Phone-hacking-Neville-Thurlbeck-vows-to-fight-dismissal-to-the-end.html